Bulk Deletions?

Jul 29, 2009 at 8:42 AM

Hi

I'm loving the look of this tool at the moment, what I can't seem to find is the ability to delete records based upon the contents of a csv file?

Is this possible?

Coordinator
Jul 29, 2009 at 9:32 AM
Edited Aug 7, 2009 at 7:21 AM

Hi Funkoid,

This is not possible with the tool at the moment. The initial scope of the tool was to fill the gaps that microsoft left open.

Bulk Deletion and Bulk Import are things that can be done in Microsoft CRM Web Interface via Settings > DataManagement > Bulk Deletion.

For update there isn't any capabilities inside Crm itselve > Hence the tool ;-)

By the way: you should not do a hard delete of a lead or contact but a soft delete. This is actually changing the Status field (i think, could be State) to inactive instead of active.

This way the record won't be shown in your active records.

That is something that can be done by the tool since its an update.

*UPDATE*

I started looking around on a way to do the deletion in the way i described above, since i hadn't done that before and couldn't find a way to do add jobs there. After some more research I saw its only possible via the SDK... Since it shouldn't be that much work I am going to include an extra button which does deletion. For now I'm going to make it kinda generic with only [creation of a deletion job at the the server which executes now on selected entities and query].

Hope this helps

Wim

Oct 22, 2009 at 10:57 PM

I'd be interested in this functionality too. The tool's new "Delete from CRM" functionality (later than this discussion) does not work off the contents of the CSV file - it just does hard deletes off the view - and it's not clear from the UI that that is the case (both hard deletes and based on the view only).

I'd like to be able to do both hard and soft deletes (deactivations) based on the contents of the CSV file. I don't think this is currently possible in either CRM or the tool. See my other post today on unexpected problems with the current hard-delete only from a view.

Coordinator
Oct 27, 2009 at 9:42 AM

Hi DTrounce

You can do soft deletes with this tool as is  :)

You need to create a CSV file with (for contacts) contactid, statecode, statuscode as columnheaders.

as values you use the following:

statecode = Inactive

statuscode = -1      (this differs from entity to entity. For a list check http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms914670.aspx)

And hit the "Change CRM State"-button.

Hope this helps you for now :)

Wim

Oct 27, 2009 at 8:34 PM

Wim - that's fantastic, thank you. I didn't realize that was possible.

It works for me. I used a CSV file with three columns:

contactid
statecode = 1
statuscode = 2

Loading this into the tool, and running "Change CRM State" correctly deactivated just those contacts from CRM Online.

From the MS technet documentation, statecode = 1 and statuscode = 2 were the default codes for Inactive for contacts, which matched an extract from CRM using the tool.