Importing Data from .csv file

Apr 10, 2009 at 12:58 PM
Hello, I've logged on successfully through the CRM update tool and imported data from a .csv file into the tool. But, I am having trouble exporting this data to CRM. I receive an error that says, "There where 1 errors".
The entity I am working with is "Contacts". My .csv file includes the headings: Parent Customer; Address 1, Street 1; Address 1, Street 2; Address 1, State/Province; Address 1, Zip/Postal Code; Business Phone; Fax; First Name; Last Name; Job Title. I have data in each Excel cell that corresponds to the headings. I'm only trying to import one record simply to test and see if it works. I have hundreds of rows of data in my master spreadsheet that I want to eventually import. For this test data, I am not importing a unique ID. Is that why I am receiving an error? Or, is the error likely caused by something else?

Thank you in advance.

Lisa
Coordinator
Apr 10, 2009 at 5:48 PM
Hello Lisa,

Yesterday I discovered a small issue with the tool... importing doesn't work :s

I already solved the issue on my desktop at work but I do not have access to my desktop for the moment.
I think I should be able to upload and release a new version tommorow or maybe sunday. The issue is only when you don't have any data as the unique ID.

At first glance what i can tell you is that the headings are wrong... They shouldnt contain spaces. I think you might be better off first trying to retrieve the contacts from CRM and then press the Export to CVS button. This way you have all the correct column headings. They are very important because i use them to map them to the columns in CRM. The columns for which you don't have data or don't want to change, you can just delete.

In your case the columns should be: contactid, parentcustomerid, addres1_street1 ... etc

Hope this helps, and as i said before I'll try to make the new release available asap. Their was also an issue with number columns but this is't an issue for the columns you are trying to import. This will also be solved with the next release.

Wim
Apr 13, 2009 at 5:29 PM
Hello - when the new release is updated, should I look for it under the "Downloads" tab in this community?

Thanks!
Lisa
Coordinator
Apr 14, 2009 at 8:01 AM
Hi lisa,

Yes, I just placed the new release (V 1.1)

Wim
Apr 14, 2009 at 8:44 PM
Thank you for posting the revised release. I tried using it to import some contact information into CRM and didn't get any errors, so it looks like it uploaded in the tool. The only problem is, I don't see any of my imported data changed in the contact record in CRM. I used the ContactID in my import, hoping that the data from my .csv file and the data in the CRM contact record would match on the ID. Did the import process actually create a new record instead of updating an existing one? Is there another step I'm missing that I need to do?

Thanks,
Lisa
Apr 15, 2009 at 6:27 PM
Hello -

After posting my last question, I tried different ways of importing the data from a .csv file into CRM. The import worked when I exported the data from CRM, saved it in a .csv file, made my changes, then imported the .csv file into CRM. I noticed that when exporting the data from CRM that only certain fields were exported. Is there any way to choose which fields I want to include in the export? For example, I need to change some data in the "Address1_Street2" field, but this field doesn't export.

Thanks,
Lisa
Coordinator
Apr 16, 2009 at 7:17 AM
Lisa,

When you log into the tool you get the the second screen where you can select the entity. Right below that one you can select the Query. When you don't select a query you'll get all the fields.
If you don't want certain fields from that csv, just delete the columns with excel.
If you don't like that way where you have to delete a whole bunch of stuff, you can create a new advanced find view in CRM, after creating the view save it and open the updater tool. You can now select that query (advanced find view). And you'll get only the fields selected by that query. (+ contactid and modified date)

Wim.