System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly System.Core, Version=3.5.0.0

Mar 7, 2009 at 11:27 PM
Hi,

I've copied the assemblies to my windows/assembly folder, but still get the following error:

************** Exception Text **************
System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'OrbitOne.CRMUpdater.CRM.Updator' threw an exception. ---> System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Core, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
File name: 'System.Core, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089'
   at OrbitOne.CRMUpdater.CRM.Updator..cctor()

In your instructions you specify to copy all assemblies and subfolders to the windows directory, but folders cannot be copied. looking at the individual files, I see there are copies of the same assembly?? Could you give more detail on registering the assemblies please? Also do I need to restart the machine?

Cheers
Coordinator
Mar 8, 2009 at 11:32 AM
Hi Kiavash,

About the assemblies in the folders, you need to 'overwrite' the dll's in the windows/assembly folder with the ones in the subfolders. They indeed look the same but when you drag and drop them again on in the GAC, windows will create a new dll behind the one that is already there. This method is created by microsoft to be able to have multiple dll's on your machine with the same name but with a different version.

ie: in this case the dll's are for windows 32bit, windows 64bit. So if you have a 32 bit system you need only those dll's. If you have a 64 bit system, the startup of the program will check which dll he needs. If the program is run as a 32 bit program it'll use the 32bit dll's.

Hope this clears that part.

As for the error you're getting: the System.Core, Version 3.5.0.0 indicates that your system does not have the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 installed. When you install this it should work.
It could be that you'll need to reboot your machine after the framework install, but it's not nesecary if you copy dll's to the gac.

If you need clarification on anything else, please don't hesitate.
And thanks for contributing, I'll update the documentation and add some requirements.

Greetz
Mar 8, 2009 at 11:37 AM
I see. Thanks mate.

Yes, I wasn't aware of the need for .Net 3.5. That explains everything.